Would you like to know how the education system works in the United States? If you have ever thought about living the American dream, but have seen it as a distant reality, you have nothing to worry about. Because at MAE Sports & Education we make sure that thousands of students can fulfill their dream of studying in the United States.
In American movies and series you will have grown tired of seeing how academic classes and students develop during their course. Living this experience can be very close if you dare to consult us to apply for one of our scholarships. However, first we want you to know how the educational system works in the U.S. so that you can evaluate it for yourself and begin your adventure with greater confidence.
How the education system works in the United States
One of the characteristics of the U.S. education system is that it is decentralized, that is, independent states are responsible for managing and organizing the education system. The governments of each state must supervise and administer the different school programs to ensure quality education for all students in the schools.
It should also be noted that each state is organized into school districts, which are a way of grouping the different schools in a specific area. It is estimated that there may be more than 15,000 school districts in the United States. So, the number of schools to which you can apply for admission are very numerous, we recommend that you consider very carefully where you want to go, as well as the school where you would like to study.
How are the courses in the United States?
Depending on the state of residence, compulsory education in the U.S. may vary from 16 to 18 years of age. In Spain, for example, compulsory education is until the age of 16, and students must complete the 4th year of ESO, after which they can leave the education system if they wish.
The following is a comparative sample by year between courses in the United States and Spain:
- Elementary School: it is an educational stage that covers from 6 to 11 years old, consists of five grades and is equivalent to fifth grade in Spain.
- Middle School: this stage lasts only three grades and is attended until the age of 14. In Spain, this corresponds to sixth grade, first and second year of ESO.
- High School: there are four grades in total, the student remains in it until the age of 18 and it is equivalent in Spain to third and fourth of ESO, first and second of baccalaureate. The record of these four courses is what will be taken into account for admission to a North American university.
Now, we are going to explain how each educational stage is developed and how it works in the United States:
It ranges from approximately 6 to 10-11 years of age, but in some states it can be as early as sixth grade. Although there is not an equal curriculum throughout the country, basic subjects such as mathematics, literature and language, physical education, science… are shared in all schools.
Middle School & High School
This period corresponds to ESO and Bachillerato in Spain. They start at the age of 10-11 and finish their studies when they are 17-18 years old. Upon completion of the last grade, the High School Diploma is obtained, which is equivalent to the Bachillerato degree in Spain. And just as in Primary Education, Secondary Education also offers compulsory and optional subjects to choose from.
Now that you know a little better how courses are organized by year in the United States, we would like to tell you about the advantages of studying in the land of great opportunities. Take note because you’re sure to be interested!
Advantages of the U.S. education system
Among all the benefits of studying in the USA are the following, not only will you have a great experience, but you will also receive a great education:
- Fewer students per class: in this way, class development is more individual and the teacher can better focus on each student.
- General content throughout the country: the basic and general content is taught in all states, although each state has its own independent organization and management.
- Support for research: it is valued positively that each student discovers his or her passions and researches what he or she enjoys. Extracurricular activities are encouraged.
- High level of participation in classes: teachers encourage students to participate in debates and create public speaking groups.
Studying abroad can open many doors for you in the future, in addition to all the advantages mentioned above. You will meet many people from other countries, learn a new language and discover a new culture. If you want to turn your life around and live an experience you will remember forever, we encourage you to consider the option of spending a year in the United States.
Do not hesitate to contact MAE Sports & Education so we can inform and assist you in a personalized and exclusive way. We want to solve all your doubts and help you make your dream come true. Call us!